Gina Bianchini is the founder of community building platform Mighty Networks and previously co founder of Ning.
This interview on Product Hunt Radio is, not surprisingly, all about community. And it’s importance in building a differentiated business.
(more than) 3 lessons…
- When you have a community around your product, you’ll get a deeper understanding of how your customers are using it to get results. You’ll be able to develop it *with* your customers and anticipate issues.
- There’s no substitute for talking to people / watching people talk to each other as a way to find your messaging and positioning.
- From the 28:50 mark there’s a great section on going narrow with your market i.e. niching down.
- Many entrepreneurs are afraid to go narrow because they believe niche means small and they won’t be able to expand later. Niche or narrow in this context means specific. Not small. And it’s always possible to add niches later.
- “Go broad to begin with and the probability you’re going to die is super high. You’ll die slowly and painfully.” Why? Because nobody knows who your product is for. They see themselves as unique and your product doesn’t talk to their uniqueness.
- Extreme example of a product that started narrow and then expanded – Facebook started for 1 dorm in 1 college.