Interview with Harry Dry who continues to crush it with his content on Marketing Examples. Growing a large following on Twitter (24K) and email (13K) doesn’t come without some dedication and skill. Harry tells the story of how he got to this point.
A lot to get out of this one...
On doing your own thing:
- Look up from time to time and don’t keep being shuffled along a path you don’t want to be on.
On launching a new product:
- No marketing plan = nothing happens
- Find influencers and think up new innovative ways to get them to notice you. Needs to be a win for them (as well as you)
- Leverage your story no matter how small. Don’t try to be a big brand
- Always launch with an MVP - don’t waste time and money until you’ve got some data that says it’s going to work
On moving forward
- Keep shipping projects. Even when you’re making mistakes you’re learning. It’s all part of the journey to getting success.
- People want to retweet tweets that look good on their own timeline. Help them look clever, funny or boost their status.
- You’re not going to grow an audience linking out to posts. You need the content in the tweets.
- People are more likely to retweet threads than individual tweets
On getting email subscribers:
- If you've only got one email signup form on your site, you're missing out on subscribers
- Popups work. Whether you like them or not. Make it more friendly by using exit intent
- Make it clear why someone should subscribe. A clear offer and call to action
- Have a specific subscriber page on your site that you can link to on social media